Hip-hop artist, Innocent Idibia, popularly known as TuFace has announced the cancellation of his One Voice planned protest against the situation in the country scheduled for Monday.In an video announcement early Sunday morning, TuFace said the protest is under threat of hijack by other interest groups.Full text of his announcement follows:
” Dear Nigerians, after due consultations, it has become clear that the one voice protest scheduled to hold in Lagos and Abuja on Monday, February 6 is under serious threat of hijack by interests not aligned with our ideals.” The point I am intent on making is not worth the life of any Nigerian. It is motivated by the need to negotiate a better deal for the ordinary Nigerian.” I therefore announce the cancellation of the planned protest.“We would share further information in due course. We appreciate the massive support .“I am convinced our voices have been heard.May God bless you all, may God bless Nigeria.”
On Saturday TuFace had said astronomical increment of goods and services as major reasons for the nationwide protest slated for tomorrow.In a Facebook post, the musician listed prices of 22 basic items that have increased by over 100 percent since President Muhammadu Buhari took over.The post had been shared by over 2,000 Facebook users as at 9:45pm yesterday with many of them expressing support for the exercise.He insisted the anti-Buhari protest on despite warnings by police authorities.Some of the items include rice, cement, gas, fuel, flour, sugar, milk and guinea corn, among others.The protest under the One Voice Nigeria initiative, according to him, will draw attention to the sufferings of Nigerians with a view to forcing government to ameliorate them.