As the world mourns Prince Phillip, the duke of Edinburgh, who died, earlier today, Friday, April 9 at Windsor Castle at the age of 99, the Royal family has announced funeral plans for the departed Prince.
His comes after weeks of concern about his health, including an extended stay in hospital.
He was treated for an infection and had an operation for a pre-existing heart condition on March 3 at another London hospital – St Bartholomew’s, in the City.
During the first week of his treatment he was visited by his eldest son Prince Charles, who made the 200-mile journey there from Highgrove in Gloucestershire.
Pictures taken at the time showed Charles appearing emotional as he left the hospital.
Prince Phillip was in hospital for 28 days in total, his longest-ever stay in hospital, before being discharged on March 16.
He left the hospital in a wheelchair and was helped into the passenger seat of a waiting car.
Throughout his stay in hospital other members of the Royal Family continued with official duties
From there he returned to the comfort of Windsor Castle where he spent the final weeks of his life.
Details on the funeral for the Duke of Edinburgh Prince Philip have been announced – and the public have been asked not to attend due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic.
The Royal Family says Prince Philip won’t receive a state funeral, but his funeral is due to take place in accordance with his wishes at St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle.
The Cabinet Office has said the public should not leave any floral tributes outside royal households, in accordance with Covid-19 restrictions.
A period of national mourning is expected for 8 days until the day of the funeral.
The funeral will not be a state funeral and Prince Philip’s body will not lie in state at Westminster Abbey.
Instead, the Duke’s body will lie at rest in Windsor Castle before the funeral in Windsor at St George’s Chapel.
The funeral arrangements were reportedly “revised” due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The changes are in line with royal custom and Prince Philip’s wishes.
The Duke of Edinburgh previously said he didn’t want a “fuss” at his funeral. The Prince was involved in his plans for his funeral, which was code named ‘Operation Forth Bridge.’
-With Agency Reports